Wentworth held its first race on New Years day in 1862. 

Races held in Wentworth from 1862 – 1872 were a picnic affair on the clay flats at the northern end of the town, near the Racecourse Hotel.

In October 1862, a group of Graziers and Townsmen met in the Wentworth Hotel and decided to organise races in Wentworth on an official basis. The Club’s first event was on the 23rd & 24th of January 1873 at the Billabong, one mile from the Towns centre. 

Organised racing boomed and within a few short years the Wentworth Club was to become NSW’s leading Country Race Club. 

In 1880 conditions were found inadequate on the Billabong Flat and the Racecourse was moved to its present location, the eastern side of the Darling River. 

The club was disbanded in 1960 after years of gradual decline.  Three years later Graziers from the Stations urged that a new Club be reformed which happened in 1966 and it still runs today as Wentworth District Racing Club.

 

COMMITTEE

President: Annette Fraser

Vice-Presidents: Andrew Buffon / Jeff Robinson

Secretary: Kathy Stuckey

Treasurer: Liz Thomson

 

Committee Members:

Breeon Cole

Liz Buffon

Leo Sheehan

Jim Girdler

Brian Beaumont

Patron: Mr Ormond McLeod

HONORARY LIFE MEMBERS:

MR L C LANE

MR R W FORD

MRS J HILL

MRS N J REID

MR R WAKEFIELD

MR J FRASER

MR G S BYRNES

MR E N ABLETT

MR O M MCLEOD

MR W S GRACE

MR J D ANTONIE

MR C N WATTS

MR R BAKER

MR M WELLS

MR N WILLIAMS

MR R SCADDING

MR A DAWES

MR M THORBURN

MR J SWANN

MRS P MCKENZIE

Mr R HILL

MR R HARVEY

MR J BARNFIELD

MR D CARROLL

MR B CLARKE

MR C MCKENZIE